USER AERA
Email:
Password:

Piraeus Society

 

The Piraeus Society was founded on 22 October 1894 as a “MUSIC and SPORTS SOCIETY” by a group of forward   thinking residents of Piraeus.  

As was the case with other similar associations (Panhellenic Sports Association, National Sports Association.), the Piraeus Society was established in response to the pressing need to create the infrastructure required for Greece to be able to host the first Modern Olympics in 1896.

    In its early days, the Society was run by a Managing Committee which was known as the KOSMITEIA (Deanery),whose members were appointed by means of a draw.

In 1898, a constitution provision was introduced which allowed for the establishment of a Board of Directors. Nikolaos Filon was appointed as the first Chairman of the Board.

   Over the following years, thanks to the volunteer spirit and selfless contribution of its members, the newly-established Society grew and began to involve itself in a wide range of charitable activities connected with Literature, Art, Sports andCulture.

   Ever a pioneering force in various intellectual movements, the Society founded its EveningEngineering Schoolsand Radiotelegraphy (Wireless) Schools, which operated under the name of the ΜΑRCΟΝΙ TELEGRAPHIC COLLEGE”. The schools were authorised by what was then the “Marconi's Wireless Telegraph Company” and also by the Ministry of Shipping. They were supervised by the DEPARTMENT OF TECHNICAL EDUCATION.

Faithful to its charitable purposes, the Society provided free education through the establishment of Primary and Secondary Evening Education Schools for Disadvantaged Children.

These schools initially operated under the aegis of the Society’s Department of EVENING EDUCATION SCHOOLS FOR DISADVANTAGED CHILDREN.When they were formally taken into full State control as part of the government’s education policy, they ceased to operate.

NEWSLETTER
Enter your e-mail to receive our news via our newsletter
Name:
Email:
Κατασκευή ιστοσελίδων:ATnet Communications Α.Ε.